Thursday, January 8, 2009

Setting Goals

After all those times when I praised Seth Godin, he had to go and write a logical post about setting goals, completely going against my claims of no defined goals for the output of my MBA. Great - now I suppose I need to come up with some. OK, here goes.....in random order, off the top of my head:
  1. I need to find a better fit between my personality skills (which I'll go into more detail in later posts) and my role, whether it's at my current company or somewhere else. Right now it's a terrible fit. I don't do well in environments where there is no discussion about why we're doing things (especially when data and experience show the opposite to be true), and I need to be more involved with solving difficult problems, not working through projects.
  2. I need to build stronger relationships with my professors. Up to now, I've only had a student relationship. I need to pick their brains more on some ideas I have that are outside the structure of our current classes. Last semester, I got too hung up on only reaching out to them for class-related topics.
  3. I need to start an online business, really soon. It may only be a service-oriented business, which isn't exactly what the United States needs these days, but I need to start driving a faster learning curve of these MBA ideas, in an environment that I can better control.
  4. I need to work on my Chinese/Mandarin. I told myself that I was going to learn at least enough to be not-useless during my trip in May, but I need to set a higher goal than that. I need to sit down with my co-worker (very nice Chinese woman) and come up with a year-long goal. I also need to come up with some goals about how to increase my cultural awareness.
Hmm....I'm four deep into this list and I still haven't written one goal that is objective.  That's never been one of my strengths.  I just don't think like that.  I think it has something to do with the fact that I always tend to think about things from a systems approach, which seems to make goals into vision.  

I'll keep working on this....


0 comments: