Tuesday, March 31, 2009

An alternatve opinion to my Facebook idea

A little while back I posted some basic ideas for Facebook to add revenue streams. One of them was around class reunions. I recently saw this article in the NYT talking about a lack of interest in 5 year reunions, because the author already felt like they knew what their classmates were doing and it ruined the element of surprise.

Who is right? I don't know. Who is wrong? I don't know. It simply highlights the need to not only go talk to prospective customers (especially non-customers) and listen to their input and feedback. It's also important to talk to people across various generations, and across various social levels. The 10 and 20 year reunion crowds seem to be very interested in physically reconnecting with people. Maybe the 5 year crowd has supplemented the need for personal interaction with Facebook, Twitter, etc. at a much higher level. I tend to believe this is very true.

It's still Market Research 101, but technology is broadening the generational gaps in every industry. We all need to make sure that we're taking this into consideration.
blog comments powered by Disqus