Saturday, June 20, 2009

Crowdsourcing a New Project

I've written about the power of crowdsourcing before, but other than a children's book that I'm trying to get created via Facebook friends, I've never really put this into practice. We do quite a bit of pseudo-crowdsourcing at work for minor ideas and feedback, but nothing that truly goes outside the walls of the existing organization.

One of the projects we have this semester involves some research into an aspect of international business that we could apply back into our existing business, or possibly use for a future business. My project involves potentially two real businesses, neither or which I am directly involved with, but at least one has several elements that would be core to something that I am very interested in starting in the near future.

The challenge of this project is that there are elements where I believe I can bring quite a bit of value and expertise, but other elements where I am really not confident that my instincts are on the right track. My gut tells me that I'm letting some (subconscious) preconceived expectations restrict my ability to see a bigger picture. So instead of making a mistake from lack of exposure, I thought I'd open this up to the Internet and see what comes back. I have no idea what sort of response I'll get back, but maybe 300-500 followers on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook can share a few ideas that will point me in directions I had never imagined before. Let's hope so.

The one caveat I have is that I'm under NDA for this project, so I'm going to need to be somewhat vague about certain specifics. I don't think this should be a problem, as most of my questions are broad and could apply to several markets or products. I'm hoping that this doesn't become too restrictive to creative ideas.

All ideas are welcome....
blog comments powered by Disqus